CATCH UP’s K-5 Program will take an integrated approach to student health. Components include:
- Engaging classroom lessons that align with the Michigan Model for Health
- CATCH activities for PE classes that focus on inclusive, non-competitive games
- Efforts to improve school cafeteria meals and vending offerings
- Providing students with a healthy learning environment that is supported by teachers, staff and school activities
- Wellness policy review and modifications
CATCH in the initial five K-5 schools will roll out in 3 phases:
- School Wellness Committee Planning (Winter 2012) – visioning, policy assessment, goal-setting, and strategic planning
- Teacher & staff training (Spring 2013/Fall 2013) – CATCH classroom and Physical Educaton curriculum; CATCH in the Cafeteria
- CATCH Kick-off (Fall 2013) – Introduce CATCH with exciting activities and events
- School-wide CATCH implementation (Fall 2013) – CATCH will be integrated into the school day through classroom lessons, cafeteria support and additional wellness activities
If you are interested in becoming a CATCH UP school, please visit our Contact page.
CATCH UP’s initial 7 schools include: Houghton, Hancock, Dollar Bay, Lake Linden, L’Anse and Bessemer Elementary Schools along with the Copper Country ISD Learning Center.